The 14th edition of the Angoulême Francophone Film Festival, a must-see back-to-school festival, will take place from August 24 to 29, 2021. It will be another opportunity to discover many nuggets that combine popular and subtle cinema among the ten films in competition. and the thirty films presented in preview.
This year, health pass and compulsory booking of sessions by Internet (available at this address).
The opening night of the Festival will allow the public to discover Eiffel by Martin Bourboulon, with Romain Duris, Pierre Deladonchamps and Emma Mackey, when the closing evening will offer to see Eugenie Grandet, the last film of Marc Dugain, with Olivier Gourmet and Josephine Japy.
The competition is always a great opportunity to meet the directors and actors who will come to defend the films presented (5 screenings are scheduled for each film). The superb selection with very varied themes is no exception this year to the rule and highlights several first films. No pure comedy this year because most of the films are dramas, thrillers or dramatic comedies… which promise emotions and tears.
– Black Box (France) from Yann Gozlan, with Pierre Niney, Lou de Laage and Olivier Rabourdin
– They are alive (France), the comedian’s first film Jeremiah Elkaïm, from the book “Calais mon amour” by Béatrice Huret, with Marina hands and Laetitia Dosch
– The Night of the Kings (France, Canada, Ivory Coast, Senegal) from Philippe Lacote
– The real family (France) from Fabien Gorgeart, with Mélanie Thierry, Lyes Salem and Felix Moati
– The Way to Happiness (Luxembourg, France, Belgium) from Nicolas steil, based on the novel “Le Cinéma de Saül Birnbaum” by Henri Roanne-Rosenblatt, with Simon abkarian and Pascale arbillot
– My legionary (France, Belgium) from Rachel Lang with Louis garrel and Camille Cottin
– Small type (France) of the actor Samuel Theis, with Antoine Reinartz and Izïa Higelin
– Pink (France), first film by Aurélie Saada (one of the two singer-songwriters of the late Brigitte duo) with Françoise Fabian, Aure Atika and Gregory Montel
– A story of love and desire (France) of Leila Bouzid
– A revision (Canada), first film by Catherine therrien
The feature film jury will be chaired by the actress-filmmaker Nicole garcia, who will host a Master Class and preview his latest film Lovers, with Pierre Niney, Stacy martin and Benoît Magimel.
The other members of the jury which will award the famous Valois (Diamond, Director, Screenplay, Music, Actor and Actress, Best Animated Short Film), are:
– the director, screenwriter and comic book author Antonin Baudry (inspirer of the hilarious Quai d’Orsay and director of his first film The song of the wolf) and the director Philippe Van Leeuw (including the film A Syrian Family won in 2017 the Valois de la Mise en Scène and the Valois du Public)
– the comedian Reda kateb (In therapy) and the actress Noemie Schmidt (3615 Monique)
– the costume designer Catherine leterrier (who notably worked on the last films of Valerie Lemercier, of which Aline, which will be presented in preview)
– the novelist Marie Ndiaye and the rapper-poetist Oxmo Puccino
– the journalist Leila Kaddour
The president of the jury of francophone students is the actress Anne Parillaud
The public will be able to see in preview, always in the presence of the directors and actors:
Many films from confirmed directors:
– Albatross of Xavier Beauvois, with Jeremie renier and Marie-Julie Maille
– Aline from and with Valerie Lemercier, which will be the subject of a musical conversation led by Julie gayet, with the interpreter Victoria Sio
– That’s wonderful ! from and with Clovis Cornillac and Alice pol
– CE2 of Jacques Doillon with Nora Hamzawi and Alexis manenti
– Delicious, of Eric Besnard with Grégory Gadebois, Isabelle Carré, Benjamin Lavernhe and Guillaume de Tonquedec
– The test of Emmanuel Poulain-Arnaud with Alexandra Lamy and Philippe Katerine
– Young lovers of Carine Tardieu, with Fanny Ardant, Melvil Poupaud and Cecile from France
– The Olympics of Jacques Audiard with Noemie Merlant
– The Man of the Cellar of Philippe Le Guay with François Cluzet, Berenice Bejo and Jeremie renier
– Damn 2! from and with Charlotte of Turkheim with Lola dewaere
– We are made for each other from and with Pascal Elbé, Sandrine Kiberlain, Francois Berléand, Emmanuelle Devos and Valerie Donzelli
– Almost from and with Bernard Campan and Alexandre Jollien, for their first film, with Maryline Canto
– Mystery of Denis Imbert, with Vincent Elbaz and Marie Gillain.
Films from new directors, including two actors:
– The origin of the world, from and with Laurent Lafitte, his first feature film, with Karin Viard, Hélène Vincent and Vincent Macaigne
– A young girl who is doing well of Sandrine Kiberlain with Rebecca Marder, André Marcon and Anthony Bajon
– The Loves of Anäis of Charline Bourgeois-Tacquet with Anaïs Demoustier, Valéria Bruni-Tedeschi and Denis Podalydes.
The other selections
Three films are scheduled in preview in the category The flamboyant : This music doesn’t play for anyoneof Samuel benchetrit with François Damiens, Gustave Kervern and Vanessa Paradis, The Unquiet of Joachim Lafosse with Damien Bonnard and Leïla Bekhti and Dear Lea of Jerome Bonnell with Gregory Montel and Grégory Gadebois.
This year again, several documentaries are in the spotlight, in particular Jane by Charlotte of Charlotte gainsbourg and Teenagers, clap heads of Patrick Fabre. And the festival delegates also program two of their favorites: Another’s place of Aurelia Georges, with Lyna khoudri and Sabine Azema and Disappearance of Jean-Pierre Pozzi.
The category First Meetings will give the opportunity to see Pierre and Jeanne, the first film by and with Clementine Celarié which adapts Maupassant or even Best of Marion Desseigne Ravel with Lina El Arabi.
This year, the Cinema and Concert category resume with Tralala brothers Arnaud and Jean-Marie Larrieu, with Mathieu Amalric, Josiane Balasko and Melanie Thierry or If we sang, the first feature film of Fabrice Maruca (known for his series on Arte The Old Minute) with Alice pol, Clovis Cornillac and Artus.
This year, Algeria, the French-speaking country invited to the festival, will receive the honors of the festival with the programming of 17 films, including Lola Pater of Nadir Mokneche, Honey cigar of Kamir Ainouz or Cheb of Rachid Bouchareb.
A few Family jewels of Memento will also be screened, including 120 beats per minute of Romain Campillo and Marguerite by Xavier Giannoli, and a focus will be dedicated to Martin Provost, who will lead a master class and will present five of his films, including The Good Wife, Midwife and Seraphine. Finally, a tribute will be paid to Sigourney weaver, crossed in Season 4 of Ten percent, whose last film in which she is the heroine, My year in New York from canadian Philippe falardeau, will be presented in preview.
Sylvie-Noëlle will be present during the Festival.